At least 20 migrants die at sea, rescues ongoing: Italy Coast Guard

Italy – (warsoor) – At least 20 dead bodies have been seen in the sea some 30 miles off the coast of Libya, Italy’s Coast Guard said on Wednesday, as efforts to rescue some 1,700 people packed onto 15 boats continued.

“About 200 people fell into the water when one of the boats listed dangerously,” Coast Guard Commander Cosimo Nicastro told Reuters. “At least 20 dead bodies were spotted in the water.”

Co-founder of humanitarian rescue group MOAS, Chris Catrambone, said on Twitter that many corpses had been brought on board their ship, and that toddlers were among the dead seen in the water.

FILE – In this May 25, 2016 file photo made available by the Italian Navy, people try to jump in the water right before their boat overturns off the Libyan coast. Over 700 migrants are feared dead in three Mediterranean Sea shipwrecks south of Italy in the last few days as they tried desperately to reach Europe in unseaworthy smuggling boats, the U.N. refugee agency said Sunday, May 29, 2016. (Italian navy via AP Photo, file)

The Coast Guard is calling in more ships to help with rescues, Nicastro said. Apart from the MOAS vessel, a tug boat was assisting in rescues coordinated by the Italian Coast Guard in Rome.

Source: Reuters

This post is also available in: Somali

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Share via
Copy link
Powered by Social Snap